Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My move to Coventry and how my life is now!

My name is Lynne Cooper and I have Downs Syndrome! I work for Grapevine, it is a charity that works with people with learning disabilities. I am a media project worker and I have been working at Grapevine for two years.

Here is my story!

I wanted to start a new life away from Motherwell in Scotland as my mum’s boyfriend would drink heavily and be aggressive. My sister lived here in Coventry so I decided to move here to begin my fresh start.

I lived with my sister for a year but things didn’t go to plan so I moved out of her house and moved in with a friend.

I was only supposed to stay for a couple of weeks but we got on so well that 10 years later we are still living in her house. We have a great friendship and we go out to the pub for meals and karaoke.

I love living in Coventry and I have been to catering college and done an NVQ to be a chef. I have a passion for singing and found out about Grapevine through meeting a friend called John who also liked doing karaoke.
I became a member of Grapevine for 4 years then I heard there was a job going as a media project worker so I had an interview and got the job. I job share with a girl called ZoĆ« and it is a pleasure to work with her. I am chuffed that I have a paid job to go to as I haven’t had a job before. I have met some great people in Coventry who have helped me start a new life.

That’s all for now
Until next time